International Dance Course (IDS)
Take part in a new and vibrant education on the cutting edge of classical ballet and contemporary dance. Our one-year full time International Dance Course/vocational training is open to international dance students aged 17–19 who wish to do a year abroad.
We welcome Pre-professional International Dance Students, age 17–19, to apply for our one-year full time course in dance within the Upper Secondary Schools framework (year II and III).
We are proud to offer you
- an education where the artistic and physical training go hand in hand to reach the professional standard and demands of today's dance scene
- professional and experienced staff
- excellent facilities such as 11 studios, our own fully equipped theatre, gym, physiotherapy, library and a school restaurant
- close collaboration with The Royal Swedish Ballet, Cullberg and major Swedish contemporary companies.
Subjects studied within the International Dance Course
The student must work with dedication and participate fully in the classes scheduled. The school places the student in classes according to their talent and ability. The school has the right to dismiss a student if the course plan is not followed.
The Ballet course
The Ballet course includes:
- Classical Ballet
- Ballet Coaching
- Pas de deux
- Ballet Repertoire
- Contemporary dance
- Improvisation/ composition
All students gain performance experience throughout the course of study.
The Contemporary course
The Contemporary dance course includes:
- Classical ballet
- Jazz dance
- Contemporary Repertoire
All students gain performance experience throughout the course of study
The course is set but would in special circumstances be adjusted by the artistic directors.
Theoretical studies the school offers
- Basic studies in the Swedish language.
- Basic studies in the English language (for students who have not studied English).
International students are offered to stay at The Royal Swedish Ballet School's dormitory. The dormitory is located 20 minutes from school by underground.
- You can also arrange your own accommodation.
Duration and outline
The International Dance Course is a one-year full time course. The school year starts in August and finishes in June. All students have
- a midterm holiday in October
- Christmas Holidays from the end of December until first week of January
- a week off in February
- days off at Easter.
All International students spend the Christmas Holiday at home.